Study visa is not actually a visa, it is a permit issued by Citizen and Immigratin, Canada (CIC) which allows students to study in Canada. A student must meet the requirements of the Canadian Immigration Act and Regulations under normal circumstances.
Canadian study permit allows international students to work for 20 hours per week on or off campus.
How to apply for a student visa?
- The applicant, first, has to apply for admission in a college or a university.
- After acceptance of your offer from your college, you must pay the tuition fee as mentioned in the offer letter.
- Once the fees has been paid, the applicant must purchase a Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) for the amount of $10,200 which is compulsory for all students.
- Next step is the completion of medicals. The medical examination must be done by a doctor approved by the canadian government.
- After completing the above steps the visa is lodged with the following required documents:
- Visa Application Form
- Original valid passport
- Family information form .
- An Acceptance Letter issued by the SDS Educational institute in Canada
- Use of Representative Form (IMM 5476)
- Proof of English Proficiency Test
- Academic Documents
- Receipt of Payment of Tuition fee
- Evidence of GIC purchase
After lodging the visa, you will come to know about your visa status when you get your passport back.
Extension of study permit
In case an international student in Canada wishes to study longer than the validity period of their study permit, a study permit extension is required. The student, then, has to submit the application to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship, Canada (IRCC) to extend their student permit and allow them to stay in Canada.
The application must be submitted before the expiration of the student permit. As long as the student has submitted the application, he/she can stay in Canada after the expiration until the final decision is made by the IRCC.
If a student fails to submit the application before the expiry of the student permit, they can apply for a restoration of status for up to 90 days following the expiration.
Change of school or program
Changing a school or program in Canada is a very simple process. All you have to do is apply for admission in a new school or program. Once you have got accepted, you just have to notify IRCC that you’ve changed schools.
The Student Permit documentation and filing can be done with the help of a Canada Certified Immigration Expert. While the process is not difficult, the chances of errors are high. It is advisable that you file your application with proper guidance.
To make it more simplified and to get the best consultation, K. TAGGARZ Co. is at your service. We have helped thousands of individuals settle in Canada via the Student Permit. But will it be the best way to apply to Canada? Get the best advice now, from one of our immigration counsellors.